April 17, 2012
Exclusive Q&A: The Zoe Report & Giovanna Randall
By now, you’ve probably fallen in love with the label featured in Monday’s TZR, HONOR. The designer of the NYC-based brand, Giovanna Randall, recently sat down with The Zoe Report to answer a few questions. Read on and become as enchanted with Ms. Randall as we are (and have been for some time!)…
1. You’ve spanned a range of career paths throughout your lifetime—opera singer, pre-med student AND designer—what ultimately led you to the fashion industry?
I have been making clothes my entire life. I went down a couple of paths, while still continuing to make clothes at the same time and then finally I got to the point where I realized that everything you do in life is going to be hard, why make it harder? I decided to do what comes naturally and what I love the most, so I took the plunge and started HONOR.
2. If you had to characterize the kind of girl you envision when designing for HONOR, how would you describe her?
She is feminine and fearless. She is not afraid to get her hands dirty but she’s graceful. She’s confident and comfortable in her own skin.
3. During the design process, what are your main sources of inspiration?
I am often inspired by movies, vintage pieces, art and my surroundings. I like to make up a story for each collection and then I imagine that I am designing for this character, this woman in my story…
4. Moment of truth—favorite item from HONOR’s spring collection?
The white Chantilly Lace Cupcake Dress.
5. If you had to edit down your wardrobe to just five items, what would you choose?
I need 7 items at least! A vintage YSL dress (circa 1965), YSL tribute pumps, Current/ Elliott jeans, the perfect white button down blouse, the Honor Signature Coat (Autumn Winter 2011), a bikini for surfing, and Prada black patent leather loafers.